Transgene announces changes to its Board of Directors
Parc d’Innovation, Illkirch, France, June 17, 2010 – Following the Annual General Meeting of shareholders held today at the company’s headquarters in Illkirch, Transgene (Euronext Paris: FR0005175080) announced the following changes to the composition of its Board of Directors:
- Michel Dubois has decided to retire as Chairman and Director of the Board; he has been a Director since 1994 and Chairman since 2006;
- Philippe Archinard has been appointed Chairman of the Board in addition to his position as Chief Executive Officer, which he has held since December 2004. The Board determined that this new governance structure, which combines the roles of Chairman of the Board and CEO, was the most appropriate in light of the company’s size and stage of development;
- Jean-François Labbé, a new independent Director was elected to the Board. He is the founder and CEO of the European pharmaceutical specialties company SPEPHARM HOLDING BV. In the course of his more than 35-year career in the pharmaceutical industry, Jean-François Labbé has held high profile business and executive positions.
‘I wish to express my gratitude to Michel Dubois who accepted to chair Transgene’s board during the particularly difficult time surrounding Christophe’s death, and who took on the mission sharing the same philosophy,’ declared Alain Mérieux. ‘Since his appointment in 2004, Philippe Archinard has fully and brilliantly exercised his role as CEO and the Board and I shared the view that it was only natural to entrust him with the responsibilities of now chairing the Board, in addition to his CEO responsibilities. I am convinced that he presently holds all the resources to make Transgene an integrated biopharmaceutical company, able to bring new ammunition to the field of medicine,’ added Alain Mérieux.
‘I am deeply honoured by the trust Alain Mérieux and the Board have granted me, and very conscious of the means now at Transgene’s disposal to implement its strategy, thanks to the support of our shareholders” declared Philippe Archinard, Chairman and CEO. ‘The diversified skill-base of the Board members, further enhanced by the appointment of Jean-François Labbé, will be an important asset through the next steps of the company’s development.’
Transgene is a France-based biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of therapeutic vaccines and immunotherapeutic products in oncology and infectious diseases. The company has four compounds in clinical development: TG4010 having completed phase II trials, TG4001/RG3484 in phase IIb trial, TG4040 having completed phase I studies and TG4023 in phase I trial. Transgene has concluded strategic agreements for the development of two of its immunotherapy products with:
· Roche for the development of TG4001/RG3484 to treat HPV-mediated diseases, and
· Novartis for the development of TG4010 to treat various cancers.
Transgene has bio-manufacturing capacities for viral-based products.. Additional information about Transgene is available on the Internet at www.transgene.fr.
Cautionary note regarding forward-looking statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements referring to the Company’s goal of developing into an integrated biopharmaceutical company. However, there is no certainty that the Company will be successful in achieving this goal, since such a transition will involve financial investments, technical capabilities, and commercial and strategic relationships which have yet to be made or established. For further information on the risks and uncertainties involved in the testing and development of Transgene’s product candidates, see Trangene’s Document de Référence on file with the French Autorité des marchés financiers on its website at http://www.amf-france.org and Transgene’s website at www.transgene.fr .
For further information please contact:
Transgene Capital MS&L
Philippe Archinard, Chairman and CEO Mary Clark, Director
+33 (0)3 88279122 +44 (0)20 7307 5336
Philippe Poncet, CFO Anna Mitchell, Account Director
+33 (0)3 88279102 +44 (0)20 7307 5346
Elisabetta Castelli, Director IR
+33 (0)1 440855
|TRANSGENE||Euronext Paris||3.32 (c)||1.53%||56 774|